2011-03-08


Federal Issues Committee:

The on-line links to the following articles can be found in the "issues archive" of our

Federal Issues Committee website [ http://www.indeedfree.com/fic/issues/archive.html ] :

IndianaArmstrongPatriots.com >> Federal Issues Committee website >>

Federal Issues (Left Pane) >> Archive


Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.

Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

- George Washington


FDR's letter to the NFFE :

(NFFE: National Federation of Federal Employees - 1937)

Excerpts from : http://www.conservativeblog.org/amyridenour/2011/2/19/text-of-fdr-letter-opposing-public-employee-government-union.html

(my emphases - pwc)

As I am unable to accept your kind invitation to be present on the occasion of the Twentieth Jubilee Convention of the National Federation of Federal Employees, I am taking this method of sending greetings and a message. …

All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations when applied to public personnel management. The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for administrative officials to represent fully or to bind the employer in mutual discussions with Government employee organizations. The employer is the whole people, who speak by means of laws enacted by their representatives in Congress. Accordingly, administrative officials and employees alike are governed and guided, and in many instances restricted, by laws which establish policies, procedures, or rules in personnel matters.

Particularly, I want to emphasize my conviction that militant tactics have no place in the functions of any organization of Government employees. Upon employees in the Federal service rests the obligation to serve the whole people, whose interests and welfare require orderliness and continuity in the conduct of Government activities. This obligation is paramount. Since their own services have to do with the functioning of the Government, a strike of public employees manifests nothing less than an intent on their part to prevent or obstruct the operations of Government until their demands are satisfied. Such action, looking toward the paralysis of Government by those who have sworn to support it, is unthinkable and intolerable. It is, therefore, with a feeling of gratification that I have noted in the constitution of the National Federation of Federal Employees the provision that "under no circumstances shall this Federation engage in or support strikes against the United States Government." …


AFL-CIO American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations

The NFFE is among the 50+ unions currently affiliated with the AFL-CIO:

NFFE-IAM    National Federation of Federal Employees / International Association of Machinists (nffe.org)

AFGE    American Federation of Government Employees

AFSCME   American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees

AFT    American Federation of Teachers

AFSA    American Federation of School Administrators

UMWA    United Mine Workers of America

UAW    United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America International Union


 

AFL-CIO works to keep Wisconsin protests going

By SAM HANANEL March 1, 2011

(Excerpts from: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9LMIE880.htm )

AFL-CIO leaders, sparked by the strength of pro-labor protests in Wisconsin, are deciding how they can help keep the crowds large and the pressure high as demonstrations enter a third week. Officials at the nation's largest labor federation said Monday they are looking for a more strategic approach to keep the protests going strong. …

… AFL-CIO officials were in the nation's capital for the federation's annual winter meeting, where strategy sessions on the three-day agenda include "The Battle of Wisconsin: Lessons and Opportunities." AFL-CIO officials have been helping organize protests in Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana and other states where GOP officials seek to curb union rights. …

The issue has helped galvanize union members nationwide, as labor leaders argue the proposal is a political maneuver meant to undermine unions and weaken a core Democratic voter base. …

On Tuesday, the labor federation will hear from David Plouffe, senior adviser to President Barack Obama. That meeting, like most others over the three-day session, is closed to reporters. …

AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka has said he's satisfied with Obama's response. "I think he's doing it the right way," Trumka said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."


            
            


 

Discover The Networks

Richard Trumka     President of AFL-CIO, Former President of the UMWA

( Excerpts from: http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/individualProfile.asp?indid=1630 )

Richard Louis Trumka served as the AFL-CIO's Secretary-Treasurer from 1995 to September 2009, second in command to its President, John Sweeney. On September 16, 2009, Trumka was elected President of the union.

Trumka was born in 1949 in Nemacolin, Pennsylvania, the son and grandson of coal miners. He too began working in the mines at age 19, joined the United Mine Workers of America (UMWA), served as head of Local 6290's safety committee, and became an activist in the Miners for Democracy reform movement.

Trumka graduated from Pennsylvania State University, earned a degree from Villanova University Law School, and was admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar. He served from 1974 until 1978 on the legal staff of UMWA, then returned to the mines. He was elected to UMWA's Executive Board in 1981 and as the union's international President in 1982. He became a member of the AFL-CIO's Executive Council in 1989. …

In 1995 Trumka was one-third of a troika elected to head the AFL-CIO. His running mates for election were Sweeney, head of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), and Linda Chavez-Thompson, who had been Executive Vice President of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). This threesome called itself the "New Voice," and pledged to replace the policies of moderate AFL-CIO leaders. …

The new unionism of Trumka et al, by contrast, focuses on government workers who benefit from higher taxes and bigger government, and who therefore implicitly support socialism and America's pro-big government Democratic Party. …

As an AFL-CIO leader, Trumka has developed and promoted radical strategies and tactics like those of the 1960s New Left for signing up workers. These tactics include labor alliances with media, government, and radical activists to intimidate companies by threatening a "death of a thousand cuts" that targets a company's investors, public image, relations with government regulators, and more.

Like his fellow triumvirs, Trumka favors radical approaches to resuscitate a dying labor movement. One of their first projects after winning election was "Union Summer," an effort "to recruit and train hundreds of young people as organizers and political activists." …

The "Union Summer" indoctrination materials endorsed by Trumka use explicit class warfare rhetoric. Young participants are told to recite a pledge called "Working Class Commitment" that includes the Marxist dogma "that we produce the world's wealth, that we belong to the only class with a future, that our class will end all oppression."

Unlike their more moderate predecessors, Trumka and his fellow AFL-CIO bosses see free market capitalism not as essential to worker prosperity but as something to be despised and destroyed. "Union Summer" seeks to spread ideological hatred of capitalism, as well as love for "progressive" government, throughout the union movement. The ultimate aim is not to boost members' wages, but to radically transform society.

Shortly after coming to power, Trumka, Sweeney and Chavez-Thompson rescinded a founding AFL-CIO rule that banned Communist Party members and loyalists from leadership positions within the Federation and its unions. The "New Voice" triumvirate welcomed Communist Party delegates to positions of power in the Federation. And the Communist Party USA (CPUSA) declared itself "in complete accord" with the troika's new AFL-CIO program. "The radical shift in both leadership and policy is a very positive, even historic change," wrote CPUSA National Chairman Gus Hall in 1996 about the Trumka/Sweeney/Chavez-Thompson takeover.

One condition of the AFL-CIO merger of 1955 was that outright Communists be purged from CIO unions. The AFL-CIO in 1957 instituted a rule that required any union official invoking his Fifth Amendment right (to avoid incriminating himself before a congressional committee) to be removed from his position. But when Richard Trumka twice invoked his Fifth Amendment right in a case involving a corruption and money-laundering scandal during the late 1990s, the response by AFL-CIO President John Sweeney was to purge the rule instead of the rule-breaker Trumka. …

In February 2009, President Barack Obama named Trumka to his Economic Recovery Advisory Board.

On November 3, 2010 -- the day after mid-term elections in which Democrats lost 6 Senate seats, more than 60 House seats, and 7 governorships -- Communist Party USA Labor Commission chairman Scott Marshall emphasized that his organization had worked collaboratively on political campaigns with Trumka. Said Marshall:

"Not only did the campaigning take place from union hall[s],... but this time, as Trumka told us when he was in Chicago, they began the nuts and bolts [of] building independent labor campaign organizations in five key cities around the country."

In September 2010, Trumka explained his reasons for getting involved in the labor movement:

"I got into the labor movement not because I wanted to negotiate wages. I got into the labor movement because I saw it as a vehicle to do massive social change to include lots of people. That’s why I got into the labor movement…. In our central councils to reach out and start building permanent coalitions with young workers groups, with student groups, with religious groups, anybody that’s a progressive group, to bring them in, actually make them part of the structure so that we have representatives on our executive boards now."

(my emphases - pwc)


 

"Educate, collaborate, AGITATE!": Alinsky’s teacher corps

By Michelle Malkin March 1, 2011

(Excerpts from: http://michellemalkin.com/2011/03/01/educate-collaborate-agitate-alinskys-teacher-corps/)

"Agitation," of course, is what teachers’ union bosses live for…via NEA Exposed:

(http://www.neaexposed.com/tactics.htm)

The Public Service Research Foundation issued a newsletter calling former NEA official John Lloyd one of the NEA’s "golden boys" and a UniServ director. Lloyd was "what the NEA wanted at that time — a very vocal, if not aggressive, bargainer/spokesperson on teachers’ rights," according to the newsletter, which is also provided in PDF format, should the link disappear.

When asked about the NEA’s note-worthy training program, Lloyd responded:

Oh sure. To understand NEA — to understand the union — read Saul Alinsky. If you read "Rules for Radicals," (Saul Alinsky’s bible of radical organizations) you will understand NEA more profoundly than reading anything else. Because the whole organization was modeled on that kind of behavior which was really begun when NEA used Saul Alinsky as a consultant to train their own staff. That’s a very important thing to understand. You cannot possibly understand NEA without understanding Saul Alinsky. If you want to understand NEA, go to the library and get "Rules for Radicals," by Saul Alinsky. Then you will understand the NEA.

With regards to Alinsky’s tactics being applied to the school setting, Alinsky said:

Many Liberals, during our attack on the then school superintendent, were pointing out that after all he wasn’t a 100 per cent devil, he was a regular churchgoer, he was a family man, and he was generous in his contributions to charity. Can you imagine in the arena of conflict charging that so-and-so is a racist bastard and then diluting the impact of the attack with qualifying remarks such as ‘He is a good churchgoing man, generous to charity, and a good husband’? This becomes political idiocy.

Learn-USA.com provides a training document from the NEA on applying Alinsky’s tactics to public education, entitled "Alinsky for Teacher Organizers." [emphasis - pwc ]

Remember: "You cannot possibly understand NEA without understanding Saul Alinsky." It’s at the heart of their forced dues racket and it’s at the heart of their battle in Wisconsin and Washington.

It’s not about children. It’s not about fairness. It’s about Alinsky’s angels organizing for political power.

Can’t repeat enough: Remember the words of former NEA top lawyer Bob Chanin, which I posted here in 2009

(http://michellemalkin.com/2009/11/23/another-thug-union-puts-self-preservation-over-children/)

Despite what some among us would like to believe it is not because of our creative ideas. It is not because of the merit of our positions. It is not because we care about children and it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power.

And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues each year, because they believe that we are the unions that can most effectively represent them, the unions that can protect their rights and advance their interests as education employees.

…This is not to say that the concern of NEA and its affiliates with closing achievement gaps, reducing dropout rates, improving teacher quality and the like are unimportant or inappropriate. To the contrary. These are the goals that guide the work we do. But they need not and must not be achieved at the expense of due process, employee rights and collective bargaining. That simply is too high a price to pay.


What is Saul Alinsky's ideology?

Saul Alinsky dedicated his book "Rules for Radicals" to Lucifer. The dedication says: "Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowledgment to the very first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history... the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom — Lucifer."

 

Alinski's Rules: Must Reading In Obama Era

Excerpts from: http://conservativemeanderings.wordpress.com/2009/02/03/alinskis-rules-must-reading-in-obama-era/

… Alinsky’s worldview was that mankind is divided into three parts: "the haves, the have-nots and the have-a-little, want mores." His purpose was to teach the have-nots how to take power and money away from the haves by creating mass organizations to seize power, and he admitted "this means revolution."

He wanted a radical change of America’s social and economic structure, and he planned to achieve that through creating public discontent and moral confusion. Alinsky developed strategies to achieve power through mass organization, and organizing was his word for revolution.

He wanted to move the U.S. from capitalism to socialism, where the means of production would be owned by all the people (i.e., the government). A believer in economic determinism, he viewed unemployment, disease, crime and bigotry as byproducts of capitalism. "Change" was Alinsky’s favorite word, used on page after page. "I will argue," he wrote, "that man’s hopes lie in the acceptance of the great law of change."

Alinsky used what he called "general concepts of change" to move us toward "a science of revolution."

What he called change meant an alteration of our socioeconomic structure; what he called organizing meant pursuing confrontational political tactics.

Alinsky taught the have-nots to "hate the establishment of the haves" because they have "power, money, food, security and luxury." He claimed that "justice, morality, law and order are mere words used by the haves to justify and secure their status quo." [emphasis - pwc]

 


 

 

 http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/02/the_america_of_samuel_f_smith.html

The America of Samuel F. Smith

By Michael Fraley February 12, 2011

Samuel Francis Smith was a friend and classmate of Oliver Wendell Holmes at Harvard University. Smith went on to attend Andover Theological Seminary, and after entering the Baptist ministry in 1832, subsequently assumed numerous ministry, professorial, and editorial posts. For their 1829 class reunion, Holmes wrote of his good friend:

There's a nice youngster of excellent pith,
Fate tried to conceal him by naming him Smith;
But he shouted a song for the brave and the free,
Just read on his medal, "My country," "of thee."

Holmes was here referring to the song, penned by Samuel Smith, which has survived the ages as "My Country, ‘Tis of Thee."

Known in its entirety nowadays by perhaps only a handful, and only by its first stanza for a somewhat larger group (many being upwards in age), most of the younger generations have only a vague notion of the melody, unaware of the parallel with Britain's national anthem. Indeed, Smith himself had no inkling of the similitude of musical elements with "God Save the Queen." He simply wrote a new hymn set to a traditional Germanic melody.

I recently took the occasion to read through the lyrics, and was once again amazed by the depth of meaning carried within these words. However, I was most particularly struck by the notions of education as a safeguard of Truth and Righteousness, which are essential elements in sustaining us as a Nation, pure and triumphant! [emphasis -pwc]

Here are the full lyrics: [Author's note: there exist a number of versions, and it is difficult to know with certainty which stanzas were later culled from the original, and which were added. This should not diminish from the premise of this article.]

My country, 'tis of Thee,
Sweet Land of Liberty
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride,
From every mountain side.
Let Freedom ring.

My native country, thee,
Land of the noble free,
Thy name I love;
I love thy rocks and rills,
Thy woods and templed hills,
My heart with rapture thrills
Like that above.

Let music swell the breeze,
And ring from all the trees
Sweet Freedom's song;
Let mortal tongues awake;
Let all that breathe partake;
Let rocks their silence break,
The sound prolong.
Our fathers' God to Thee,
Author of Liberty,
To thee we sing,
Long may our land be bright
With Freedom's holy light,
Protect us by thy might
Great God, our King.

Our glorious Land to-day,
'Neath Education's sway,
Soars upward still.
Its hills of learning fair,
Whose bounties all may share,
behold them everywhere
On vale and hill!

Thy safeguard, Liberty,
The school shall ever be,
Our Nation's pride!
No tyrant hand shall smite,
While with encircling might
All here are taught the Right
With Truth allied.
Beneath Heaven's gracious will
The stars of progress still
Our course do sway;
In unity sublime
To broader heights we climb,
Triumphant over Time,
God speeds our way!

Grand birthright of our sires,
Our altars and our fires
Keep we still pure!
Our starry flag unfurled,
The hope of all the world,
In peace and light impearled,
God hold secure!.

There are, of course, the glorious expressions of thanks to the Almighty for a rich and abundant land, and the opportunity to shine forth the spirit of liberty "with God's holy light." But notice the progression, from the fantastic discovery in the first two stanzas, to the sort of evangelical zeal bursting forth until midway through the song.

Now, an unexpected shift: the verse progresses onward to the concluding two stanzas, where the timeless quality of the effort is fully revealed. From the free-spirited exuberance of a youthful zeal, one is suddenly made to face, albeit with joy and longing, the enormity of the responsibility to teach these truths to posterity. One can, from the within the lyrics themselves, discern three imperatives with regard to such a burden to educate the following generations:

* 1. To more fully appreciate the bounties shared at great cost to our collective posterity.

* 2. To safeguard our liberty from the encroachment of tyrants.

* 3. To know and do what is Right and True, and hence ensure our standing throughout the ages.

This brings to mind how Harvard was established in 1636 by the Puritans as a means of providing affordable education to the vast majority of the people -- in direct defiance of the British Crown. This was in keeping with Puritan traditions of great tolerance and belief that only a population broadly schooled in logic, religion, and the liberal arts could remain free.

New England's reputation as a center of American learning is a legacy of the Puritan stress on diffusing knowledge as broadly as possible.

Sadly, this is no longer true of any but a handful of higher learning institutions. Indeed, the spirit of these words is best carried out within parochial education and the home-schooling "movement." In a way, it is also taking place through a kind of American "Awakening" best exhibited by the "Tea Party" movement. [emphasis - pwc] Time will tell, but perhaps we are in the midst of an American Restoration, wherein the People are returning to the sources of our true Liberty! If we are zealous and committed, perhaps we can even begin to influence our public schools toward this end!

On Samuel F. Smith's 80th birthday, Oliver Wendell Holmes sent him the following note:

Full ma­ny a po­et's labored lines
A century's creeping waves shall hide-
The verse a people's love enshrines
Stands like a rock that breasts the tide.

Time wrecks the proudest piles we raise,
The towers, the domes, the temples fall.
The fortress crumbles and decays-
One breath of song outlasts them all.

I remember singing this hymn of praise and patriotic thanksgiving many dozens of times; yet I have not the slightest recollection of some of the truly weighty portions. What a tragedy!

What a greater tragedy still that words such as these no longer echo from the rafters of the very institutions that brought about their very existence.

Michael Fraley flew 29 combat missions in Operation Desert Storm - and in true faith and allegiance, vows to forever support and defend U.S. Constitution from all enemies, be they foreign or domestic.