Make the 2012 Election a New Birth of Freedom!

by  Peter Cooper      January 2, 2012

As this 2012 election year begins, we find the founding principles of our republic under attack like never before. This year may prove decisive whether our country remains a land of liberty. The political elite of both parties - especially those who identify themselves as "progressives" or "liberals" - have been disregarding the original meaning of our Constitution and its principles.

We should be alarmed!

Our security and future liberty depend on reclaiming America's first principles. We must fulfill the mandate of liberty entrusted to us by our Founders. For these reasons, the popular constitutionalism of the Tea Party movement, with its dedication to 'limited government', is indispensable. Our continued action is absolutely necessary!

We pledge allegiance to the Republic for which stands our Flag of thirteen stripes and of fifty stars - "one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all".

The Stripes represent the original American States, which declared their independence from the British monarchy. The American Revolution was based on the principles of individual liberty, equal justice for all, and that governments derive "their just powers from the consent of the governed." To these ends the American people established the Constitution of these United States of America. Our Civil War was a great test whether a nation so "conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal can long endure."

The Stars signify the present union of States. To each state our Constitution guarantees a republican form of government. The American republic - literally res publica , "a thing of the people" - is based on popular governance and would cease if it were to lose the consent of the governed. Today, the majority of the American people do not believe the federal government has their consent. Once again the question arises whether "this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."

The American Republic was founded according to principles of liberty and justice quite different from the notions of 'collective freedom' and 'social justice' which inspired the French Republic, the Russian Revolution, and the so-called "Progressive" movement. Under the American system of "equal justice" you are born with rights and the government exists to protect them. "Individual liberty" originates from an unalienable, natural right to pursue happiness freely according to your own wants and needs. Under a collectivist system of "social justice" the government grants or withdraws one's rights according to its needs. "Collective freedom" is defined in accordance with a defeasible, artificial right to realize only such human potential which conforms to an arbitrary societal good, as determined by a cultural elite. History has shown that such collectivist notions, by denying equal justice and individual liberty, lead inexorably to the "guillotine", the "gulag", and the "re-education camp".

Echoing the voices of millions, the popular constitutionalism of the Tea Party movement adamantly opposes the class-envy rhetoric and collectivist actions of President Obama. The humble masses who came to our shores, "yearning to breathe free", are a testimony to the blessings of a liberty secured by limiting the federal government to a few enumerated powers. President Obama with his liberal-progressive minions has been wreaking havoc upon our Constitution, expanding the socialistic, administrative state thereby enabling a form of fascistic, "crony" capitalism.

Abraham Lincoln once warned, "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained for it is the only safeguard of our liberties." For too long our elected and appointed officials have ignored the Constitution by not "bearing true faith and allegiance to the same."

Let history record this year 2012 was when We the American People reaffirmed our blessed liberty and restored Our Constitution to its rightful place by holding our elected officials to account!